Found on the Lifenet Receiving Station

Here’s an interesting set of ECGs I found on the Lifenet Receiving Station. They were transmitted to the emergency department by a neighboring EMS system. I have no details of the history or clinical presentation.

ECG #1

ECG #2

What do you think?

• SoCal Medic says:

St Segment Depression in the Inferior Leads with changes in T Wave morphology between the two (looks to be over 5 min). aVR in 12 Lead a has a inverted T Wave without Deviation and in B has ST sgement Elevation with the bi-phasic T Wave morphology. Minimal Elevation in V1 increases into the second 12 Lead along with ST Segment changes/depresssion along with change in T Wave Morphology in V6. My guess is, being that V6 would be reciprocal for V6R, V1 looks at the right part of the Septum, the Inferior Wall could be supplied by the Circumflex, and aVR is positive for elevation (Lead II being hte recirpcoal confirming infarct at that point), I would call it a RVI and see if I can get an activation (based soley on the 12 Lead, either way I would have to really sell it. Am I close??

• SoCal Medic says:

Also it is hard to tell if the ST segment elevation observed in V2-V4 stays constant, but I don't like how the ST segment looks or the changes in the overall T Wave between A and B.

Christopher – Don't over-think it! In the first ECG, the T waves in the right precordial leads are abnormal. But could it be explained by benign early repolarization or the male pattern? The reciprocal changes in the inferior leads are the give-away! I was surprised that the GE-Marquette 12SL interpretive algorithm called ECG #1 a normal ECG.Regardless, ECG #2 tells the tale because there are, as you say, changes between the first and second ECG.Most striking (to me) are the changes in leads II and aVF, but as you say, there are also changes visible in lead aVR.In addition, there are changes in QRS morphology. For example, loss of R wave amplitude in leads V2 and V3.See also:From Dr. Smith's ECG blog, ST depression limited to inferior leads is reciprocal to high lateral wall and represents STEMI.Tom

• SoCal Medic says:

Doh. I hate it when I do that. Funny how when you revisit something the picture is easier to grasp. The nice thing about the blog is it allows the opportunity for discussion. Thanks again.

Christopher – That's exactly what makes Web 2.0 a better medium for learning than a book! I like the feedback. It's helps me learn, too.Tom

• Simon G. says:

St elevation in aVR and V1 is indicative of left main occlusion (J Am Coll Cardiol, 2001; 38:1355-1356)..this would explain the lateral supplied by circ and anterior supplied by LAD

• MM says:

Working on ANT wall Mi recip. changes Inf/Lat leads. MI

JEMS Talk: Google Hangout

Comments
Sharon Sinclair
The 12 Leads of Christmas: V3
As a technician, I absolutely love how comprehensive these posts are. Although I do not have the advanced knowledge or understanding of a licensed provider, I try to absorb as much as I can from posts like these. Maybe one day I will muster the courage to transition to a more advanced position in cardiac…
2015-02-28 20:40:17
A visit to Johns Hopkins #EMSToday2015 | EMS 12 Lead
Episode #11 – Are we harming patients with oxygen?
[…] might remember Mike from one of our most popular EMS 12-Lead podcasts Episode #11: Are we harming patients with oxygen?¬†We finished up the night with food and adult beverages in the […]
2015-02-25 14:33:03
Rollo
The Trouble with Sinus Tachycardia
Had a pt today with a rate @ and around 160, it was indeed sinus tachycardia. The tachycardia was secondary to a stimulant which caused over stimulation of sympathetic nervous system ie sympathomimetic O.D. The treatment was fluid and a benzo. Problem solved.
2015-02-25 00:14:18
Jeff Reader
The 12 Leads of Christmas: V3
When looking at how the heart sits in the chest and how things are named remember they were probabily named during autopsys when the cadaver was on its back.
2015-02-24 16:55:04
darren
58 year old female CC: Chest pain
I would be inclined to ignore QTC as rate is above 100 and unreliable to interpret less than 50 or more than 80. ST segments are interesting as is the history. PE was my first impression AnterioSeptal MI second impression but I'm inclined to consider LV Aneurysm as third Impression as no reciprocal changes?
2015-02-24 04:01:24