Snapshot Case: 44 Year Old Male – Chest Tightness

Here's a new "Snapshot" case courtesy of Dr. Bojana Uzelac from Serbia…

A 44 year old male presents with a chief complaint of tightness in his chest x 1 hour. He was on his way to a conference when it started and states:

"It feels kind of like asthma. I've never been diagnosed but I imagine this is what it would feel like. Maybe I'm just nervous about speaking in front of everyone."

Vitals: HR 85 bpm, RR 20/min, SpO2 97% on room air, BP 157/84 mmHg, and temp 37.1 C.

The patient's skin is cool and dry and he appears mildly anxious. The following EKG is then captured.

2014.02.03 - 0000 - 01 - Bojana Uzelac - Blog Case - EMS 12-Lead

Is this patient experiencing a STEMI? If so, where would his occlusion be located?

• Shalom says:

Looks like a STEMI, very probably of the Proximal LAD (Anterior ST elevation with elevation in V1, AVR + possibly Incomplete RBBB)
    Elevation in III makes me think that the LAD may wraparound the apex. (Considering limb leads are properly placed)

• ren says:

I would call STEMI anterior ST elevation. With aVR also being elevated this is a LMCA until proven otherwise (could also be prox LAD).

• John says:

I am thinking pericarditis or possibly BER. I am not calling this STEMI.

• Joel says:

Anteroseptal MI with ST elevation in V1-V4, reciprocal depression in Leads I, II, aVL. Likely Proximal LAD occlusion.

• sanchopanza says:

ECG: Sinustachycardia 75/m, normal heart-axis, normale PQ en QTc duration, slight intraventricular conduction delay, significant ST elevation in leads V1-5 and aVR, depression lateral (aVL, V6) and slightly in II, sharp T-waves V2/3.

Combining this with the complaints and duration (1 hour) I would seriously consider CAG. Possibly proximal LAD/ left main as said by Ren.

Any cardiovascular riskfactors? Any recent illnesses? (diarrhea, respiratory infection last 2 weeks?)

• Chris says:

STEMI -anterior.. not sure how any Paramedic can not call this a stemi…. Jon , please explain why you would not call this a stemi?? Chest discomfort-st elevation -new onset . Im hear to learn

• Matthew says:

Lots of ST elevation.  To the cath lab!  But maybe pericarditis??

• P Lem says:

My quick guess would be Early Repolarization with Hyperkalemia, but tangentially, I'm rather intrigued with the morphology of the anterior lead P waves; is there atrial pathology of some sort as well?

JEMS Talk: Google Hangout

Comments
Stuart
Anterior T wave inversions and PE.
Studies (can't remember them off the top of my head) have shown that TWI in V1-4 + III is 85% likely to be RV strain, 15% ischemia. If I see anterior TWI, the very next lead I look to is III
2014-11-23 18:00:51
Arlene R
The Trouble with Sinus Tachycardia
It has been very insightful for me as i read this post. Thanks to the may people who commented. Like many nurses, I was also taught to differentiate svt from st by rate and now I stand corrected. I have a Telemetry test coming up soon, I wont have the patient in front of me…
2014-11-20 19:59:33
Nick
100 yof CC: Rib pain and intermittent spasms
Can't be a potassium imbalance. The TW's wouldn't change and then change back. If it was coronary spasm, I would expect some ST segment elevation. The TW'S are also not hyperacute (peaked). Does she wear some sort of electronic stimulator?
2014-11-19 01:05:43
Anterior T wave inversions and PE. | EMS 12 Lead
Not just S1Q3T3: Look at the other 10 leads!
[…] Last week, I described the case of a middle-aged male with a vague history of heart failure who had been having progressive shortness of breath for 4-5 days. On the day he called 911, he had been walking a short distance when he syncoped. EMS obtained an ECG: […]
2014-11-18 18:33:47
Christine
100 yof CC: Rib pain and intermittent spasms
I believe this may be coronary artery vasospasm.
2014-11-18 11:02:45