Snapshot Case: 44 Year Old Male – Chest Tightness

Here's a new "Snapshot" case courtesy of Dr. Bojana Uzelac from Serbia…

A 44 year old male presents with a chief complaint of tightness in his chest x 1 hour. He was on his way to a conference when it started and states:

"It feels kind of like asthma. I've never been diagnosed but I imagine this is what it would feel like. Maybe I'm just nervous about speaking in front of everyone."

Vitals: HR 85 bpm, RR 20/min, SpO2 97% on room air, BP 157/84 mmHg, and temp 37.1 C.

The patient's skin is cool and dry and he appears mildly anxious. The following EKG is then captured.

2014.02.03 - 0000 - 01 - Bojana Uzelac - Blog Case - EMS 12-Lead

Is this patient experiencing a STEMI? If so, where would his occlusion be located?

• Shalom says:

Looks like a STEMI, very probably of the Proximal LAD (Anterior ST elevation with elevation in V1, AVR + possibly Incomplete RBBB)
    Elevation in III makes me think that the LAD may wraparound the apex. (Considering limb leads are properly placed)

• ren says:

I would call STEMI anterior ST elevation. With aVR also being elevated this is a LMCA until proven otherwise (could also be prox LAD).

• John says:

I am thinking pericarditis or possibly BER. I am not calling this STEMI.

• Joel says:

Anteroseptal MI with ST elevation in V1-V4, reciprocal depression in Leads I, II, aVL. Likely Proximal LAD occlusion.

• sanchopanza says:

ECG: Sinustachycardia 75/m, normal heart-axis, normale PQ en QTc duration, slight intraventricular conduction delay, significant ST elevation in leads V1-5 and aVR, depression lateral (aVL, V6) and slightly in II, sharp T-waves V2/3.

Combining this with the complaints and duration (1 hour) I would seriously consider CAG. Possibly proximal LAD/ left main as said by Ren.

Any cardiovascular riskfactors? Any recent illnesses? (diarrhea, respiratory infection last 2 weeks?)

• Chris says:

STEMI -anterior.. not sure how any Paramedic can not call this a stemi…. Jon , please explain why you would not call this a stemi?? Chest discomfort-st elevation -new onset . Im hear to learn

• Matthew says:

Lots of ST elevation.  To the cath lab!  But maybe pericarditis??

• P Lem says:

My quick guess would be Early Repolarization with Hyperkalemia, but tangentially, I'm rather intrigued with the morphology of the anterior lead P waves; is there atrial pathology of some sort as well?